Inflatable boats are becoming increasingly popular for beachgoers and adventurers alike. Whether you’re planning on a peaceful day of fishing, cruising to a beach, or even taking a weekend trip around the lake, an inflatable boat is the perfect way to get out on the water. But with so many options on the market, it can be hard to narrow down your choices. That’s why we’ve taken a look at two of the most popular inflatable boats: the Intex Excursion 5 and Newport Vessels Dinghy. In this article, we’ll compare their features and specs to help you decide which one is right for you. Read on to learn more about these two great inflatable boats and find out which one is best for your needs.
Comparison table for Intex Excursion 5 vs Newport Vessels Dinghy
|Intex Excursion 5
|Newport Vessels Dinghy
|– Spacious and can fit five adults
|– Electric trolling motor compatible
|– Ample storage space for gear
|– Stable with quick take-offs
|– Two inflatable seats with backrests
|– Excellent planing and steering with inflatable keel
|– Built-in fishing rod holders
|– Self-bailing transom drain valve
|Reviews and Ratings
|4.5 out of 5 stars (4,730 ratings)
|4.4 out of 5 stars (261 ratings)
|Price and Budget
|Starting from $959.04
|Purpose and Needs
|Suitable for boating and fishing with friends
|Ideal as a dinghy boat or sport tender
|Limited 90-Day Manufacturer Warranty
|2-Year Manufacturer Limited Warranty
|Easy to use and assemble
|Portable and easy to assemble or disassemble
|Return and Exchange Policies
|Refer to the seller’s policies
|Refer to the seller’s policies
|Aesthetics and Design
|Crisp white PVC fabric
|Future Upgrade Potential
|Limited scope for future upgrades
|Compatible with electric trolling motors and outboards
|Refer to the seller’s customer support services
|California based company, selling boats since 2009
|Availability and Delivery
|Available on Amazon
|Available on Amazon
|Features and Specifications
|– Size: 5-Person
|– Size: Large
|– Material: Polypropylene
|– Material: Polyvinyl Chloride
|– Life Vest Type: Type IV
|– Max Power: 10HP
|– Item Weight: 25 Kilograms
|– Max Load: 1067 lbs
|– Includes: Aluminium oars, inflatable seats, repair kit
|– Includes: Aluminium bench seat, oars, storage bag, etc.
|Check the latest price
|Check the latest price
The most important Inflatable Boat features comparison
|Excursion™ 5 Boat
|Newport Vessels Dinghy
|Ease of Use
|Inflation and Deflation System
|Maintenance and Repair
|Storage and Gear Options
|Water-Repellent and UV-Resistant Materials
|Compatibility with Trailers or Carrying Bags
|Buoyancy and Floatation
|Easy Maintenance and Cleaning
|Anchoring and Mooring Options
|Value for Money
Please note that the features marked as “Not mentioned” or “Not specified” indicate that the product description does not provide sufficient information to assess its compatibility with those particular features.
Intex Excursion 5 Overview
Discover the Intex Excursion 5 Boat and enjoy unprecedented fun and relaxation on the water! This five-person boat is designed to offer versatility, convenience, and superior comfort. With its unique I-beam construction, this boat is designed for better rigidity and buoyancy.
The Intex Excursion 4 Boat is crafted using a high-strength Polypropylene and heavy-duty puncture-resistant PVC. This unique combination ensures durability and superior puncture resistance for a worry-free boating experience. Furthermore, an inflatable I-beam floor provides enhanced rigidity and comfort.
This boat is fitted with three air chambers: two main outer chambers and an inner auxiliary chamber inside the main hull for added buoyancy and safety. An inflation pump is included, allowing for easy and quick inflation. With the convenient drain plug, this boat ensures hassle-free de-inflation.
The Intex Excursion 5 Boat (Manufacturer website) features a five-person capacity and an impressive weight capacity of 1,100 pounds. It is equipped with two fishing rod holders for added convenience and an integrated gear pouch. The boat also has motor mount fittings for adding a trolling motor, allowing for more versatility. Inflated kayak size is 10.4 feet x 5.5 feet x 1.5 feet.
Experience unparalleled fun and relaxation on the water with the Intex Excursion 4 Boat. This five-person boat is designed with comfort, convenience, and durability in mind. With its robust construction, this boat ensures a worry-free boating experience for any occasion. Whether you’re fishing, cruising, or just relaxing, discover the possibilities with the Intex Excursion 4 Boat.
Newport Vessels Dinghy Overview
A remarkable choice for boating enthusiasts seeking both style and performance. The sleek and crisp white PVC fabric of the Newport Dinghy not only garners regular compliments at the dock but also ensures high visibility as you glide through the water at impressive speeds ranging from 15 to 20mph, depending on the model and horsepower.
Designed for stability and quick take-offs, the inflatable tail tubes of the Newport Dinghy provide excellent stability while the inflatable keel allows for smooth planning and precise steering. Its portability is a key feature, allowing for easy assembly or disassembly in just 10-15 minutes, making it incredibly convenient for transport.
Notable features of the Newport Dinghy include its compatibility with electric trolling motors and 3-20hp outboards (depending on the model). The air keel design creates a shaped V hull, facilitating easy planning and enhanced steering. Sturdy carrying handles, stainless steel bow D-rings for towing, and additional D-rings on the bow and tail tubes for Bimini and accessory attachments further add to its functionality. The self-bailing transom drain valve ensures hassle-free maintenance, while the easy grab rope and splash guard limit water spray inside the boat.
Crafted with premium quality in mind, the Newport Dinghy boasts a hull made from high-quality .9mm/1100D crisp white PVC fabric with UV treatment. The floor is constructed using marine-grade coated plywood, featuring an aluminum frame that provides a solid and stable surface for activities such as standing, casting, and planning. The seams are meticulously heat-welded using the latest technology, ensuring durability and longevity.
The Newport Dinghy arrives as a complete package, including the PVC boat hull, an aluminum-framed marine wood floor, one aluminum bench seat, two aluminium oars, a storage bag, a foot pump, two repair patches along with a valve wrench, and front and rear exterior sturdy carrying handles. It features a front carry D-ring and two rear towing D-rings, enabling easy transport and towing options. Furthermore, it meets USCG (United States Coast Guard) standards and comes with a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin and Vessel Bill of Sale for boat registration. Newport, a California-based company, has been providing high-quality boats since 2009 and offers a 2-year manufacturer limited warranty for added peace of mind.
The Newport Dinghy, model Dana, boasts impressive dimensions with a length of 8 ft 10 in, a tube diameter of 18 in, and an inflated width of 60 in. It consists of three chambers plus one keel and has a maximum power rating of 10HP. The maximum engine weight is 90 lbs, and it is designed to accommodate a short 15″-17″ outboard shaft. With a maximum load capacity of 1067 lbs, the Newport Dinghy comfortably seats up to three persons, ensuring enjoyable adventures on the water.
What are the available options I can buy?
For the Intex Excursion 5, there is one available style name option which is:
- Style: 5-person
This style is designed to accommodate up to five people comfortably. It offers ample space for a group of friends or family members to enjoy boating or fishing trips together.
The Intex Excursion 5, with its 5-person capacity, is suitable for those looking for a spacious inflatable boat that can accommodate multiple individuals. Whether it’s a day of leisurely boating or a fishing expedition, this style provides the necessary room and comfort for a group outing.
For the Newport Vessels Dinghy, there are multiple style name options available with varying lengths and features:
- Style Name: 8-Feet 10-Inch
This style offers a compact and versatile dinghy boat measuring 8 feet 10 inches in length. It is suitable for various activities such as cruising, exploring, or using as a sport tender.
Price: Starting from $959.04
- Style Name: 10-Feet 6-Inch
This style provides a slightly larger dinghy boat with a length of 10 feet 6 inches. It offers increased space and stability for a comfortable boating experience.
Price: Starting from $1,249.00
- Style Name: 11-Feet 9-Inch
With a length of 11 feet 9 inches, this style offers even more space and versatility. It can accommodate additional gear or passengers, making it suitable for various water activities.
Price: Starting from $1,399.00
- Style Name: 12-Feet 6-Inch
This style provides a larger dinghy boat measuring 12 feet 6 inches in length. It offers ample room and stability, making it ideal for longer excursions or carrying more equipment.
Price: Starting from $1,284.12
- Style Name: 9-Feet 6-Inch
This style offers a slightly smaller dinghy boat with a length of 9 feet 6 inches. It provides a balance between compactness and functionality, suitable for various water activities.
Price: Starting from $1,149.00
The Newport Vessels Dinghy comes in a range of style name options, allowing individuals to choose the length that best suits their needs. The varying lengths offer different levels of spaciousness and versatility for activities such as cruising, exploring, or using as a tender for larger vessels. The prices vary based on the size and features of each style.
It’s important to consider your specific requirements, such as the number of passengers, intended activities, and budget, when selecting the appropriate style from the available options.
SimpleInflatables Recommendations Summary
Comparing the Intex Excursion 5 and the Newport Vessels Dinghy, let’s examine their attributes and features:
Intex Excursion 5:
- Benefits: Spacious with room for five adults, ample storage space, built-in fishing rod holders.
- Features: Two inflatable seats with backrests, two built-in fishing rod holders, heavy-duty grab handles, inflatable I-beam floor for rigidity, includes oars, pump, and repair kit.
- Specifications: Size: 5-person, Weight Capacity: 1,100 pounds, Material: Polypropylene.
Newport Vessels Dinghy:
- Benefits: Electric trolling motor compatible, stability with quick take-offs, self-bailing transom drain valve.
- Features: Inflatable tail tubes for stability and quick take-offs, inflatable keel for planning and steering, aluminium-framed marine-grade coated plywood floor, includes oars, storage bag, pump, and repair kit.
- Specifications: Various style name options with different lengths, material: Polyvinyl Chloride, max power: 10HP, max load: up to 1067 lbs.
Both the Intex Excursion 5 and the Newport Vessels Dinghy offer their own unique features and benefits.
The Intex Excursion 5 is an inflatable boat designed for recreational boating or fishing trips. It provides ample space, built-in fishing rod holders, and inflatable seats for added comfort. It is suitable for accommodating a group of five adults and offers storage capacity for gear. This option is ideal for those seeking a straightforward and affordable inflatable boat for casual water activities.
On the other hand, the Newport Vessels Dinghy offers a range of style name options with different lengths to cater to various needs. It is compatible with electric trolling motors, providing additional convenience for those who prefer motorized propulsion. The inflatable tail tubes and keel offer stability, quick take-offs, planning, and improved steering. The aluminum-framed marine-grade coated plywood floor adds durability and stability. This option is recommended for those looking for a more versatile and feature-rich dinghy boat, especially if they require specific lengths or plan to use an electric trolling motor.
Ultimately, the choice between the two products depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you prioritize affordability and simplicity for recreational activities with a smaller group, the Intex Excursion 5 is a suitable choice. If you desire more versatility, advanced features, and customization options, along with the ability to use an electric trolling motor, the Newport Vessels Dinghy offers a wider range of options to meet those needs.
Intex Excursion 5 vs Newport Vessels Dinghy Pros and Cons
|Intex Excursion 5
|Newport Vessels Dinghy
|Spacious design allows for comfortable seating of five adults.
|Electric trolling motor compatibility.
|Ample storage space for gear and belongings.
|Stable and quick take-offs with inflatable tail tubes.
|Built-in fishing rod holders enhance convenience for fishing enthusiasts.
|Improved planing and steering capabilities with inflatable keel.
|Inflatable seats with backrests provide additional comfort.
|Aluminum-framed marine-grade coated plywood floor offers stability and durability.
|Heavy-duty grab handles and grab lines offer stability and ease of movement.
|Self-bailing transom drain valve helps to keep the boat dry.
|Inflatable I-beam floor ensures rigidity and durability.
|Various style name options with different lengths to cater to specific needs.
|Includes a comprehensive accessory package with oars, pump, and repair kit.
|Limited scope for future upgrades or customization.
|Higher price range compared to the Intex Excursion 5.
|May not be suitable for more demanding water conditions or rough rivers due to its design and materials.
|May require additional investment in accessories like a trolling motor or oars.
|Some users may find the setup process slightly more involved due to the additional features and components.
Intex Excursion 5 Pros:
- Spacious design allows for comfortable seating of five adults.
- Ample storage space for gear and belongings.
- Built-in fishing rod holders enhance convenience for fishing enthusiasts.
- Inflatable seats with backrests provide additional comfort.
- Heavy-duty grab handles and grab lines offer stability and ease of movement.
- Inflatable I-beam floor ensures rigidity and durability.
- Includes a comprehensive accessory package with oars, pump, and repair kit.
Intex Excursion 5 Cons:
- Limited scope for future upgrades or customization.
- May not be suitable for more demanding water conditions or rough rivers due to its design and materials.
Newport Vessels Dinghy Pros:
- Electric trolling motor compatibility enhances versatility and convenience.
- Stable and quick take-offs with inflatable tail tubes.
- Improved planing and steering capabilities with the inflatable keel.
- Aluminum-framed marine-grade coated plywood floor offers stability and durability.
- Self-bailing transom drain valve helps to keep the boat dry.
- Various style name options with different lengths to cater to specific needs.
Newport Vessels Dinghy Cons:
- Higher price range compared to the Intex Excursion 5.
- May require additional investment in accessories like a trolling motor or oars.
- Some users may find the setup process slightly more involved due to the additional features and components.
Performance and Functionality
The Intex Excursion 5 is designed to provide a reliable and enjoyable boating experience. With its spacious design and a capacity to accommodate five adults, it offers ample room for a group outing. The inflatable seats with backrests ensure comfort during extended periods on the water. The built-in fishing rod holders cater to fishing enthusiasts, making it convenient to secure fishing gear. The heavy-duty grab handles and grab lines contribute to stability and ease of movement. The inflatable I-beam floor enhances rigidity and durability, providing a solid foundation. While primarily suitable for calm lakes and mild rivers, the Intex Excursion 5 may not be ideal for more demanding water conditions due to its design and materials.
The Newport Vessels Dinghy is a versatile and high-performing inflatable boat. Its compatibility with electric trolling motors enhances its functionality and allows for efficient propulsion. The inflatable tail tubes provide stability and quick take-offs, making them suitable for various water activities. The inflatable keel improves planning and steering capabilities, allowing for better manoeuvrability. The aluminium-framed marine-grade coated plywood floor offers stability and durability, providing a solid and reliable platform. The self-bailing transom drain valve helps to keep the boat dry. The Newport Vessels Dinghy comes in various style name options with different lengths, catering to specific needs and preferences.
In terms of performance, both the Intex Excursion 5 and Newport Vessels Dinghy excel in their respective ways. The Intex Excursion 5 offers a comfortable and spacious experience, perfect for leisurely boating or fishing trips on calm waters. On the other hand, the Newport Vessels Dinghy stands out with its additional features and versatility. Its compatibility with electric trolling motors, stability, and manoeuvrability make it suitable for a range of water activities.
Price and Value comparison
The Intex Excursion 5 offers an affordable option for those looking to enjoy boating or fishing trips with a group. With a price of $199.98, it provides a budget-friendly solution that includes essential accessories such as aluminum oars, inflatable seats, a pump, and a repair kit. While the Intex Excursion 5 may not have the advanced features or customization options of higher-end models, it offers good value for money for recreational purposes and casual water activities. Additionally, the limited 90-day manufacturer warranty provides some assurance of quality.
The Newport Vessels Dinghy, with its various style name options and additional features, comes at a higher price range. Starting from $959.04, it offers enhanced functionality and versatility. However, it’s important to consider the additional investment that may be required for accessories such as a trolling motor or oars. The value of the Newport Vessels Dinghy lies in its compatibility with electric trolling motors, stability, and maneuverability, making it suitable for various water activities and providing a premium boating experience. Furthermore, the 2-year manufacturer limited warranty adds peace of mind to the purchase.
When considering price and value, it’s crucial to evaluate your specific needs and preferences. The Intex Excursion 5 provides an affordable option for recreational boating or fishing trips with a group, offering good value for its price. On the other hand, the Newport Vessels Dinghy offers a higher-end experience with added functionality and versatility, catering to those seeking advanced features and customization options. Assessing your budget and desired level of features will help determine which option provides the best value for your specific boating needs.
Most important features of inflatable boats comparison
Intex Excursion 5: The Intex Excursion 5 is designed to accommodate five adults, providing ample space for a group outing.
Newport Vessels Dinghy: No specific information was provided regarding the capacity of the Newport Vessels Dinghy.
Intex Excursion 5: The Intex Excursion 5 features heavy-duty grab handles and grab lines, contributing to stability during use.
Newport Vessels Dinghy: The Newport Vessels Dinghy offers stability with its inflatable tail tubes, ensuring stability during water activities.
Intex Excursion 5: The Intex Excursion 5 is made from puncture-resistant PVC material, providing durability for prolonged use.
Newport Vessels Dinghy: No specific information was provided regarding the durability of the Newport Vessels Dinghy.
Intex Excursion 5: The Intex Excursion 5 includes aluminium oars, inflatable seats with backrests, a pump, and a repair kit.
Newport Vessels Dinghy: The Newport Vessels Dinghy includes oars, a storage bag, a pump, and a repair kit, but specific details may vary depending on the chosen style.
Intex Excursion 5: No specific information was provided regarding compatibility with additional accessories or equipment.
Newport Vessels Dinghy: The Newport Vessels Dinghy is electric trolling motor compatible, providing additional convenience and propulsion options.
Intex Excursion 5: No specific information was provided regarding manoeuvrability features of the Intex Excursion 5.
Newport Vessels Dinghy: The Newport Vessels Dinghy offers improved planing and steering capabilities with its inflatable keel, enhancing maneuverability.
Intex Excursion 5: The Intex Excursion 5 comes with a limited 90-day manufacturer warranty.
Newport Vessels Dinghy: The Newport Vessels Dinghy comes with a 2-year manufacturer limited warranty.
It’s important to note that while the Intex Excursion 5 provides information on several important features such as capacity, stability, durability, accessories, and warranty, specific details regarding some features are not mentioned or provided for the Newport Vessels Dinghy.
Considering the available information, the Intex Excursion 5 appears to offer a good balance of features and value for recreational boating or fishing trips, accommodating a group of five adults and providing durability and stability. The Newport Vessels Dinghy, on the other hand, offers additional features such as compatibility with electric trolling motors and improved manoeuvrability with its inflatable keel, but further details are needed to fully assess its performance in terms of important features.
Intex Excursion 5 users review (verified purchasers):
Rob P key highlights:
- The reviewer describes the boat as a glorified pool toy when it comes out of the box, but still considers it a nice pool toy.
- The box states that the boat seats five people, but the reviewer finds it small for five adults.
- Without a motor, rowing is necessary, which limits usable space in the boat.
- The boat handles poorly, especially in small currents or moderate breezes, and it becomes difficult to overcome with the oars.
- Rowing is challenging, particularly in the presence of current or wind. The oars provided by Intex are considered too short for this boat, resulting in inefficient rowing due to excess play and movement.
- The included pump requires considerable effort to inflate the three chambers. Setting up the boat takes around 20 minutes, and deflating, wiping down, drying, and folding it also takes another 20 minutes.
- Without a motor, the boat is suitable for a fun day at a lake, but it should not be expected to travel far or fast. Despite this, it is described as decently sized, floats well, and can be folded into a relatively small size.
- The reviewer would have given a five-star rating if the oars were longer.
Sam Mingo key highlights:
- The reviewer recommends buying the boat but advises understanding its limitations and that it is more than just a $150 boat.
- Contrary to the box’s claim, the boat does not seat 5 people comfortably. It is better suited for 2 adults or possibly 3 adults with a couple of kids.
- Rowing the boat is challenging, and the reviewer suggests using a trolling motor.
- In some regions, such as North Dakota, if a trolling motor is added to the boat, it needs to be registered with the game and fish department, following boating laws. Without a motor, registration may not be necessary.
- The boat performs well on still waters but may not be suitable for rivers with a current.
- The boat is durable, with thicker vinyl material similar to an air mattress. However, the fishing pole holders appear cheap, and the reviewer wouldn’t trust them for holding fishing poles.
- The boat is portable but heavy, making it easier to load and unload with two people.
- The boat is rated for a weight capacity of 1300 pounds (people and equipment). The reviewer consistently carries around 800 pounds in the boat, and it floats well and moves at around 5 mph with the trolling motor.
- The reviewer provides a list of suggested items to purchase alongside the boat, including a trolling motor mounting kit, trolling motor, battery box, deep cycle battery, portable battery charger, life vests, air horn, anchor, fire extinguisher, bow and stern lights, electric air pump, industrial strength outdoor Velcro, plastic bins for storage, Loctite for securing motor mount bolts, LED light strips for better lighting at night, and dock bumpers for docking safety.
Check out more Intex Excursion customers reviews.
Newport Vessels Dinghy users review (verified purchasers):
Brandon Coate says:
- Great value for the price.
- Used in salt water for a week without any issues with an 86 lb trolling motor.
- Can comfortably fit 4 people, but it would be crowded with 6.
- Installing the floor becomes easier once you get the hang of it and takes about 15 minutes to set up with an electric pump.
- It takes approximately 30 minutes to put the boat away.
- The reviewer used the boat in Ohio and had to obtain boat licensing documents.
- The process of receiving the boat and requesting the necessary documents took around 10 days.
Shaun review says:
- The reviewer spent about two weeks reading and contemplating before purchasing the 12.5 Catalina boat.
- The reviewer was specifically looking for a high-capacity fishing boat alternative that is easy to launch and retrieve.
- The Catalina boat has a capacity of 1600 lbs and meets the reviewer’s requirements.
- The reviewer currently has a 55 lbs trolling motor on the boat and has been fishing in it regularly during good weather.
- The reviewer upgraded from an Excursion 5 due to durability issues and is very satisfied with the sturdiness and durability of the Newport Catalina.
- The boat is described as comfortable and perfect for fishing.
- While the floorboards may be a bit challenging to install initially, the reviewer has found a method that works for them and it is not a significant problem.
- The reviewer recommends using a trailer to save time on inflating and deflating the boat, suggesting leaving it inflated for the entire season.
- The reviewer plans to upgrade to at least a 10 HP motor in the future and will provide an additional review after trying it.
- The boat performs well in shallow water, as the reviewer is able to safely navigate in just 6 inches of water with about 700 lbs of weight in the boat.
- The reviewer mentions using the paddles and lifting the trolling motor in smaller streams, but is not concerned about it.
- The reviewer expresses excitement about getting a Bimini top and taking their spouse and children out on the boat.
Read more Newport Vessels customers reviews.
Can the Intex Excursion 5 accommodate more than five adults?
No, the Intex Excursion 5 is designed to comfortably accommodate up to five adults.
Is the Intex Excursion 5 suitable for rough river conditions?
The Intex Excursion 5 is primarily designed for lakes and mild rivers. It may not be the best choice for more demanding water conditions.
Does the Newport Vessels Dinghy come with a warranty?
Yes, the Newport Vessels Dinghy comes with a 2-year manufacturer limited warranty, providing coverage for a specified period.
Is the Newport Vessels Dinghy compatible with electric trolling motors?
Yes, the Newport Vessels Dinghy is compatible with electric trolling motors, allowing for convenient and versatile propulsion options.
Are the oars included with both products?
Yes, both the Intex Excursion 5 and the Newport Vessels Dinghy come with oars included in their respective packages.
Can the Intex Excursion 5 be used for fishing?
Yes, the Intex Excursion 5 is suitable for fishing. It features built-in fishing rod holders, providing convenience for fishing enthusiasts.
Are the seats in the Intex Excursion 5 inflatable?
Yes, the Intex Excursion 5 includes inflatable seats with backrests, offering added comfort during boating trips.
Does the Newport Vessels Dinghy require assembly?
Yes, the Newport Vessels Dinghy requires assembly. However, specific details about the assembly process may vary based on the chosen style.
Can the Intex Excursion 5 be used with a motor?
The Intex Excursion 5 is not specifically designed to be used with a motor. However, it is possible to attach a small motor, up to 1.5 horsepower, for added propulsion.
What materials are used in the construction of the Intex Excursion 5 and the Newport Vessels Dinghy?
The Intex Excursion 5 is made from puncture-resistant PVC material, while the Newport Vessels Dinghy is constructed with Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) fabric.